It’s Not Working…

Project: Light robe jacket

Pattern: Started with Peppermint Robe Jacket size D

Fabric: 5oz linen/cotton chambray mid blue from The Fabric Store

At what point of a sewing project do you know it’s not working? You have the fabric, the pattern, and you know exactly what you want to do with them, but as you are putting it together, you realise something just isn’t right.

At the beginning of each project I usually write down “an intention”. Something that gets to the heart of what this make will be, whether it’s testing out a new pattern, or filling a gap in my wardrobe, it’s something I can come back to if I get lost. The intention I wrote for this project was “to make a light layer to wear over long sleeves in winter, or layer in summer for coverage”…sounds simple enough!

Then I came up with the really cool idea; What if I made the jacket reversible? I thought it would be really great to have a dark and light tone layer to choose from, and two jackets are better than one right? I had two blue tone fabrics and the pattern from Peppermint magazine and I began cutting with fervour! I cut and constructed the jackets up to the point of joining them. I laid them one inside the other, put it on and looked in the mirror. I squinted at the reflection staring back. This was just not working…It was not what I wanted.

The jacket was heavy from the two layers, the shape of the pattern also wasn’t right, and I saw right then how far I had drifted away from my original intention with one little idea. I had over thought what was in essence a very simple project, and I knew in my gut it wouldn’t be something I’d reach for. Feeling annoyed, I left the jacket for the day.   

It was easy to be hard on myself and overly critical in the moment, but with some time away from the project my frustration eased. It’s not always the case that these projects can be saved, and indeed at this point many end up in the “unfinished outfits” pile. But that does not mean they are FAILS. When I first learnt to sew, nearly all my projects went to the “unfinished outfits” pile. It’s HARD! And it’s easy to lose focus.

That’s when I returned to my original intention and it was like the clouds in my brain cleared, and I knew what I had to do to get back on track.

So satisfying!

I separated the layers and chose only to work with the top light chambray. I cropped the jacket taking off about 15cm from the bodice hem and 10cm from the sleeve hem and straightened the lines. This gave it a much more square and structured feel. I decided to make the collar more of a simple bind 1.5cm wide, topstitched in place. I’m not a huge fan of overlocking seams, especially if there is a chance they may be seen, so I used some left over bias binding and did a Hong Kong finish over the seam allowances together.

There was a junction where all the bias bound seams met that I found really satisfying to look at! I made a small patch pocket and added it to the front on one side.

What I ended up with was very different to the original pattern, but it completely fulfilled my original intention. I’m so happy with this simple addition to my wardrobe and I know it will become a well worn item.

TA-DA!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s